28 October, 2010

Fantastic plastic arms

I was going to put a clever pun in the title of this post, but all I could think of were ones that involved pronouncing 'harmless' without the H, and that just seemed a bit desperate. Not to mention really old.

The fact remains that I am now the proud owner of two arms! (Oh, go on: insert bad joke here.)


Plastic, ex-mannequin arms. I bought them on Trade Me for $28.50 (including postage - bargain!), for the purposes of modelling bracelets.
Next year I am planning to introduce some gorgeous, bohemian cuffs to the Silverlight Jewellery brand, and I knew that I would need some way of modelling them. Wearing the cuffs on my left hand and photographing them with my right proved less than satisfactory, for a number of reasons. So I knew that once again I would have to turn to plastic, and I started searching on Trade Me. I was outbid on the first set of arms I wanted, but a few weeks later I saw these ones, and they were perfect.

The left arm modelling an as-yet unreleased Whiteleaf Jewellery bracelet.

The arms are a very pale nude, almost ivory, in colour - paler than Zara, and smoother in texture. They arrived wrapped in bubble wrap and sticky tape. It was quite easy to see, through the bubble wrap, what was in the parcel. I wonder if it was one of the more unusual packages that New Zealand Post has carried, but I suspect that none of their employees would have batted an eyelid. I'm sure they carry many strange things.


Zara now has some plastic company.


The arms do look a bit weird, propped against the wall in a corner of the room where I have my workspace. Full-length plastic arms, with no mannequin attached to them, casually leaning against the wall.
And now I've just spent an hour or more blogging about plastic arms. 
The things we artists do. 
What's the weirdest piece of equipment that you own?

 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...