15 November, 2010

Featured artist: Melissa Lynn D

Every November and December, I plan to feature some of my favourite artists and crafty types. I like to think of it as a 'win/win/win' situation: you get to see their lovely work, and maybe get some ideas for your Christmas shopping; they get a little extra publicity from being featured; and I get the pleasure of showing you their gorgeous work.
This week's featured artist is the ridiculously skilled Melissa Lynn D. I first came across her in the Etsy forums, and was attracted by her avatar, which depicts one of her pencil drawings: a horse's head in elegant pose and beautiful detail.

Print of horse head pencil drawing by MelissaLynnD on Etsy

Below are Melissa's answers to my questions.

How do you describe yourself as an artist?
I am a graphite pencil artist specializing in horses and western/country subjects. My work is very realistic and detailed, and I love dramatic lighting and close up/unusual views of subjects.

Framed Newborn mare and foal print by MelissaLynnD on Etsy

Please describe your creative process.
I subscribe to several magazines, and I page through them and tear out any photos that inspire me. When I want to start a new drawing, I go through this collection and pick one or two that strike my fancy. Then I start drawing, always changing things up to make it my own and/or combining aspects from a few different photos. I do very little sketching - I have a clear image in my head of what I want, so I'll usually go right to the actual drawing after only a sketch or two. My drawing process is all over the place - sometimes I start with the darks, sometimes with the area that interests me the most, sometimes I work from top to bottom - just depends on the piece and how it strikes me.

Why do you do it?
I've been drawing all my life - it's just part of who I am. I can't imagine NOT doing it. It's only been in the last few years that I've started trying to make a profit off of it.


What do you want people to feel when they see/experience your work?
This past summer at a show, I received the best compliment I could ever get. A woman walked up to my display, and after a few moments, she whispered, "They're moving." I guess that's what I'd like everyone to feel - that connection with the moment expressed on the paper - not as a single moment frozen in time, but more as a living moment - as if they were actually watching the mare nuzzle her new foal, or looking into the depths of the trusting eye gazing back at them, or seeing the wild horse tossing its mane in the wind.


The Eye print by MelissaLynnD on Etsy

Is there anything you want people to know about you as an artist?
I absolutely cannot view my own work objectively. Where other people see beauty, I see the flaws, the things I wish I'd done differently. It is my greatest wish as an artist to be able to see my work as others see it.

One dozen horse-themed notecards by MelissaLynnD on Etsy 

Do you have a favourite quote that pertains to you or to your work?
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there's footprints on the moon." - Paul Brandt

Is there anything that you would like to say to other artists?
It's not always going to be easy being an artist, but in the end, it will always be worth it. Even if you never sell a single piece, the sheer joy you get out of creating your work is worth all the time.

Print of cowboy boot pencil drawing by MelissaLynnD on Etsy

Melissa has also started listing some of her photography in her shops, and I cannot resist showing you a few of these simple yet magnificent shots.

 Photo of harnessed draft horse by MelissaLynnD on Etsy


Raw Beauty Arabian stallion photo by MelissaLynnD on Etsy

Melissa's blog: www.melissalynnd.blogspot.com
Melissa Lynn D on Etsy: www.melissalynnd.etsy.com
Melissa Lynn D on ArtFire: www.MelissaLynnD.artfire.com

2 comments:

Melissa Lynn D said...

Thanks so much, Emma!

Kawartha Beads said...

Beautiful feature, Melissa your work is outstanding. So nice of you to share you inspiration and process with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...