21 December, 2010

Featured artist: Bibliographica

The final featured seller for this year is Louise of Bibliographica. Louise is a fellow seller on Felt.co.nz, which is where I 'met' her. A long-time admirer of handmade books, I drooled over her journals from the moment I first laid eyes on one of them, and eventually I commissioned her to make a special journal for a friend of mine. The book, when it arrived, was exquisite: superbly made, with loads of character, and pure Epicurean pleasure to look at, touch, hold, and smell. 
I still drool over Louise's work, and have promised myself that one day I will choose one of her journals for myself. 
Below are Louise's answers to my questions.

How do you describe yourself as an artist? 
Primarily a photographer, I am a hand bookbinder making use of predominantly recycled materials. Everything is OOAK (one of a kind) so can’t be repeated exactly although I could make similar journals if the right materials are on hand.  Along with my journals I create photographic collage (once a darkroom passion) which is centred on botanical studies of native flora & fauna, which incorporate many layers of paper ephemera and fibres to create the finished piece.

 Preserved Wings – A5 print by Bibliographica on Etsy

Please describe your creative process.
My creative process is spontaneous, unpredictable and often surprising. I find solace in silence with nature out my window and the sound of the rain, wind or sea. Other times I’ll have some crazy loud music blasting out the window and be equally enthused. My mood tends to sway similarly … I’m a Libran, so go figure. ;D

I get a lot of inspiration from old books and looking at the way they are constructed. Like recipes, I often don’t stick to the proposed main ingredients (or steps) to making a journal. I’ll alter it and find my own road along the way. Handful of this, pinch of that; throw out those measuring cups …

The Key to Sicilia
  The Key to Sicilia: a journal with a journey in mind, by Bibliographica on Etsy

The Handler
 The Handler, by Bibliographica on Etsy

A plain journal with no embellishments is sometimes enough, whereas the sight of a wee trinket might fire me up and after stitching it or adding it to the piece, it then takes on an entirely new persona.

Thoughts in Flight
Thoughts in Flight: a wearable, miniature journal, by Bibliographica on Etsy
You And Me – print by Bibliographica

With my botanical work, sometimes just the sight of an olde dry decaying leaf blowing in the wind is enough for me to see it in my head as a finished collage, and I’ll chase it to bring it home and get to work. 

Why do you do it?  
Without creativity I feel hollow; a lost soul. It is my outlet, my free ticket to inner peace & freedom.

Louise at the Studio of Brilliant Ideas market in Auckland, New Zealand. Photograph courtesy of Bibliographica. 

What do you want people to feel when they see/experience your work?
I guess I want them to feel what I feel after I finish something I am really proud of … something I endeavour to generate with each creation. I would like people to feel that they have received something unique, that has had a lot of love, thought & care put into its fruition, and that their words are worthy of the pages. Thoughts are important things; I feel that we as individuals should give rise to that and allow ourselves treasures for our thoughts.

La Petite Bibliotheque de Trois
La petite bibliothèque de Trois: The Little Library of Three, by Bibliographica on Etsy

Do you have a favourite quote that pertains to you or to your work?
"Do what you can, with what you have, right now." (Not sure exactly who said it.)

Is there anything that you would like to say to other artists?
Believe in yourself; forget about what other people think of you, and most importantly:  don’t stop creating.

Inside Louise's studio. Photograph courtesy of Bibliographica.

Below is a link to Louise's impressive array of journals, shown en masse on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibliographica/sets/72157623803135966/

And, because I couldn't resist, a showcase of Louise's beautifully photographed work currently available on Felt. 


























































Bibliographica on Etsy: www.bibliographica.etsy.com
Bibliographica on Felt: www.bibliographica.felt.co.nz

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...