13 August, 2010

Renewing on Etsy: the Something Blue experiment

 There has been a lot of discussion in the Etsy forums, over the years (or is it only months?), as to whether or not renewing is a profitable strategy for being found in the masses of items that throng Etsy's website. Some say it is; some say it does little but eat up profit.

(For those who are unsure, 'renewing' here means relisting an item before it has sold or expired; in other words, 'refreshing' a listing so that it appears at the front of the search results and the categories, and paying the listing fee again in order to do so. 'Relisting', on the other hand, is listing an item again after it has expired or sold.)

Something Blue took it upon herself to find out the scientific way. The results are quite fascinating.

If you sell on Etsy, or - like me - are planning to sell on Etsy eventually and in the meantime are curious to know whether you'll end up renewing a lot when you do, take a look.

http://shopsomethingblue.blogspot.com/2009/08/etsy-experiment-revealed.html

2 comments:

Louise said...

I make use of it about once a month, actually - particularly if I list a new item without looking at the Time Zone clock - and realise that most of my regular viewers are fast asleep! The times I have used it have resulted in a lot of traffic coming into my site and also a couple of sales. I keep a track of all this through Google Analytics, by finding out where the bulk of my traffic is coming from, and when, then listing accordingly.

Another way which I have only exercised a couple of times is starting conversations with interested parties from past sales and alerting them to new listings.
Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents! ;)

Unknown said...

An interesting read, I remember her posting the results in the forums...
I've read other stuff like "don't renew, list something new" there are lots of opinions and experiments

I just see what I fancy on the day and go with that :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...